Monday, November 14, 2011

Start of Week 4

I really thought I would have more to post than I do.  We have been really blessed in the progress Bryan has made.  He has had some side effects from the Chemo.  He has had the fatigue they told us he would have.  He started with fever blisters around his mouth last week, but the PA gave him some medicine that stopped them before they had really started.  I would like to have some of that medicine on hand.  He has the blotchy red spots on his face and arms.  That is the chemo attacking the many signs the sun has left over many years of sun.  They haven't been as red as I thought they would be.  The PA said that is the chemo killing any pre-skin cancer that he might have had some day (one positive).  He hasn't lost his hair.  He is quite red in his stomach area from the radiation.  And I think the radiation is frying his insides.  But I guess that is what it is suppose to do.  He has had quite a bit of pain, but the pain pills they gave him have worked really well.  He says he itches and I am sure that is another side effect of the chemo.   His blood levels have stayed where they wanted them and he is maintaining his weight.  He hasn't lost his love for food, but he doesn't have a great desire to eat.  He has had some muscle spasms, but only a few.  Of course they were in the middle of the night and that kept him awake.  He usually falls a sleep on the couch for a few hours before he heads to bed.  He doesn't sleep as well as he would like.  But then who does when you are 50+.

On a good note, he spent the weekend hunting with his dad, brothers and son (James had to work)  The doctor thought it would be good for the mind and he encouraged him to go it he felt like it.  I think they had a good time and he enjoyed the distraction.  He came home tired, but not as tired as I expected him to be.

Our kids take great care of us--Jeff was responsible for the hunting trip duties and I think he did a great job.  Thanks kids for putting up with a over-protective wife and mother.  This is a new road traveled for all of us and I am still feeling my way.  (I hope we don't have to get to know this road to well)

As of today, he has 15 treatments down and 10 radiation treatments left, so we are more than half way.

Bryan is a very positive, up beat person that sees more positive than negative in his life.

He told me tonight that he feels overwhelmed by the love and kindness people show him.  I know when he is in the spot light like this, it is out of his comfort zone, but I also know that he really appreciates all of the support others have offered.

 Thank you all for your love and support.

2 comments:

Joseph said...

You are both staying so positive, thanks for setting that example for us!! Emma stayed home from school today sick, she has a nasty croupy cough. I told her tonight that it is probably a virus going around and it might take a while to go away and she almost started crying, she said, "Then we can't go to UT and see Grandpa and Grandma!" I smiled at that, the older kids can't wait to come so we will do all we can to get better this week and stay healthy so we can! Luv you!!

YaYa said...

I am so grateful you are keeping this blog up to let us know how you both are doing! We love you! Hang on!