Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Answers to Questions!

It has been amazing the love and support that we have felt in the last few months. Family and friends alike have been there at every turn. With that comes questions.

A reporter from the Daily Herald called me today and asked it they could do a story on Bryan and his fight. She asked questions that I know others want to ask but haven't.

So here are a few answers.

Yes, we do have insurance. Bryan was laid off in the fall of 2010. I was laid off in the winter of 2009. Leaving us with out insurance. In May 2011, Bryan got a new job with ITP companies. He is a salesman for them, selling promotional items. You name it, he can get it for you. Anything to brand and get your name out. With the new job, we were bless that they offered insurance. So beginning in August of 2011 we had insurance. Bryan went in for a physical in Aug. All the test showed he was healthy. After a final test, a colonscopy, he found out he had cancer.

We do have a deductible and max out of pocket. Both of 2011 and 2012. We have met our max out of pocket for 2012 already. No surprise since our bills are over $150,000 all ready.

We also have a deductible for medicine and then co-pays. There is no max out of pocket for medicine. I filled 3 today.

Bryan has continued to work as much as he can, but he is 100% commission salesman. He office has been fantastic at letting him work what hours he could or needed to. But last week alone, he spent one full day at the doctors. Plus the 21 days in the hospital since Jan. 19, and all the other doctors visits. Sometimes I think he is the only one trying to work through this ordeal. Doctors say all the time -"You are still working" He is trying hard to keep up with the clients he has, but the fatigue is sometimes just plain overwhelming.

We are not looking to run away from all the medical bills, but they add up. Then there is the extra supplies and the extra gas and the extra on and on and on.

We feel so blessed to have our 4 children and their spouses. They have asked over and over what they could do to help. One day Amy called and said mom, we want to have a medical benefit for dad. That is the one way we know we can show our support. So the 8 of them, with help from friends and family, have put together this benefit.

The benefit is very humbling. The Lord has blessed us over and over with the big "C" word, but as my mom keeps telling me, "that doesn't stop it from being hard".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan and Bryan,
About a week ago my Mom read me an article in the Spanish Fork Press about a benfit dinner for Bryan. Since then I have been trying to find a contact number for you. Today my sister sent me the link to your blog. I am so sorry to hear that Bryan has cancer.

When I first went onto to your blog I couldn't believe how your family has multiplied. WOW! What a beautiful family. You too must be so proud.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to come to the dinner but I do sent my love. I still remember being in high school together and our friendship. It doesn't seem that long ago and I still remember Bryan's contacious upbeat attitude. I enjoyed reading your blog entries and Bryan's sense of humor throughout this whole ordeal.

I am still living in California. I would like to get in touch with you when I visit this summer.

May God Bless You! I will pray for
you and Bryan winning this battle.

Love,
Debbie Searle Johnson

Susan said...

Thanks Debbie. I think of you often as well. I would love to get together with you this summer.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.