Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First Day of 2nd Round of Chemo

On Monday, we went to the doctors office to get some training for the next new adventure. How naive we were. As they started listing the POSSIBLE side effects, I kept thinking what are we doing?

Since Chemo is a combination of several drugs, each drug has there own possible side effect. One makes you lose weight, one makes you gain weight. One causes diarrhea, one causes constipation. One causes your hair to thin. The all cause fatigue. They all cause sensitivities to hot and cold. They told him not to get in the fridge and get a gallon of milk out without wearing gloves. Don't stand on the cold tile without slippers on. Don't get in the shower without letting the water run and warm up the shower. Don't drink cold or warm drinks-it causes you to think your air ways are shut off and you can't breath. Don't go outside in the heat without a hat that isn't new for Bryan he already does that one. If it is cold outside wear a scarf, and cover your mouth. You ask why. It causes tingling and numbness in his hands, feet and body. Hopefully, it would be temporary, but it could become permanent. YES for the rest of his life. The best on yet, was today when he was almost done, he said "I'm starving. Where should we go eat?" I responded that it was Whopper Wednesday. The nurse overheard us and said, Well, that would be OK to do it today, but you shouldn't do it again until after the treatments. I looked at her funny thinking it was the fried food, or red meat or something like that, no it was the lettuce and tomato on it. He isn't suppose to eat fresh fruits and vegetables from restaurants the entire time he is having treatments. The bacteria on them could cause infection. What, don't eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Let's not be healthy. So I said can he eat them at home, and she said yes as long as you wash them with soap and water. I'm not sure you can rise the lettuce enough to get the soap off. Do any of you wash your lettuce with soap? What to do? Crazy cancer anyway.

Well, I have other things I could write, but Katy talked me into going to Zumba with her and I am exhausted. Tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

Bryndi said...

Dear Susan and Bryan,

I came home the other day to one of your flyers on my door. How BIG your family has gotten! You have got to love posterity! :D It is a beautiful family picture. I was sad to hear about the cancer. My dad would always say he wouldn’t wish cancer on his enemy, not even the devil! I read all through your blog updates, and surely Susan, you have worded Bryan’s optimism/perseverance just right! What an example you both are! The road at times is lined with wonderful pot-holes and unexpected tar pits…the experience my family had with cancer and others we love, has been many times, sacred. My dad one night in the hospital had the impression/whispering, “Mantel Cell, my friend”. He told me his impression the next day, and I thought he was crazy! How in the world could Cancer be classified as anyone’s friend?! And not that it isn’t ugly and the effects on the body physically, emotionally, and mentally are more than draining, but my family came to find that, cancer was a tool used to help us love deeper, cherish harder and keep our perspective more focused on things of real worth/value. A dear friend last year, pleaded in the hospital to just be allowed to leave this life, for her treatments were harsh, and when God didn’t take her she became quite upset. She wore the gloves to get anything out of the fridge and at times was too sick to even lift her head. During her fight with treatments, she had a reoccurring dream over and over of a long hallway. There was much debris in the hallway and a man was pushing/sweeping the debris back and forth. She wondered what the dream meant. And after many nights of the dream, the man reached the end of the hallway, and he finally turned around… and there the Savior stood, smiling at my friend. He had been clearing her a path through her long hallway/battle of cancer. All things work together for our good! And Bryan, since you ARE GOOD (proof of the wife you chose :D) there will be no exception to the rule for you. ALL things will work together for your good. You both are in my prayers. I am sad this has been placed on your family’s plate. But also I must smile knowing, that God is in control, and I saw what beautiful blessings came from such an ugly situation for my own family’s life. Onward and Upward! Thank you for both of your courage! Remember, there is NEVER a limit for receiving blessings for strength and peace. God is in control, and that is okay! Keep trusting in Him. Love you!

Sincerely,
Bryndi